Hanging out at the Dairy

Hanging out at the Dairy
Darci(far left) & the Wrights at the Creamery

Monday, July 18, 2011

My Gyro Heroes


As a foodie, exploring different foods and restaurants is in my nature, searching for a new experience or untried taste.  However, I am stuck in the most blissful rut at the Plunkin' Shack in Port Angeles, WA. They are my gyro heroes!! Melissa, Mackenzie and their whole friendly team make every customer feel welcome and there is no doubt,we are definitely well fed!

The amazing ladies with my son Alan

I know they have amazing soups, salads, other sandwiches. My friends swear to it, I see other customers eating their other selections, but their gyro is my go-to and exclusive choice!


They use the thicker pita which is soft, dense (sort of like a thin foccacia) and pliable. This is the vessel which contains the Tzatziki sauce (a creamy yogurt, garlic, parsley, cucumber based sauce), black olives, shaved onions, feta cheese, lettuce, fresh tomatoes and gyro meat. This glorious creation is wrapped in paper, yet still requires several napkins and two hands to fully embrace the experience.


We went in early July, just Alan and I. He had often heard me waxing on about their incredible gyro sandwiches and was anxious to stop in for his first time. The appeal was immediate when we drove up; the hanging baskets and planter boxes on the outside and the cozy decor inside. The Christmas trees are part of the year round decor and decorated according to the current holiday or season, always cheerful!


The ladies know my "usual" order; a lage, freshly brewed iced tea with a wedge of lemon and...


the gyro sandwich! My only deviation is what side salad to accompany...today it was their home-made coleslaw. Alan had the side of Pasta Salad with Ranch dressing with his gyro. I finished my plate and part of Alan's pasta salad side (oink, oink)!


Our gyros were more devoured than savoured, so Alan ordered another one for the road trip out to Forks. Another Plunkin' Shack devotee was converted that day. Good golly, I'm going to need to get another paper route to feed this kid.


Bravo to the ladies at the Plunkin' Shack, our gyro heroes! No doubt to return another day for more gyros. 

~Here's to you finding your little slice of heaven and relishing it each time you visit...bye for now my friends!

No comments: