Hanging out at the Dairy

Hanging out at the Dairy
Darci(far left) & the Wrights at the Creamery

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A treasure hidden in plain sight


I have to admit, Sunny Farms is deceiving to those who haven't been in for a visit. It's not a flashy, glitzy urban store and it doesn't pretend to be. It's an honest to goodness farm store, focusing on fresh produce, fresh fish and meats, a busy deli and garden center, a thriving dried goods isle. It's a modest store, which doesn't reveal itself immediately...you have to slowly explore it's bounty to know why it's a true destination for Sequim shoppers!




Sometimes I need something specific or sometimes I come to be inspired by their produce or meat depts. I'm always preaching about using the best, local, organic if possible ingredients and this is why Sunny Farms is on my list of "go to" places.

 Currently featuring local strawberries!


Their meat dept is my personal magnet. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. The products are super to uber-fresh and often naturally raised. Not sure of which cut is best for your recipe...they are happy to steer you (get it?! Steer is also a neutered male cow...sorry) towards some of your best choices of cuts. I'm a personal fan of the meats from their farms in Othello, WA. They're super fresh, naturally raised and mainly grass fed to my understanding.



How much do these beautiful Smoked Ham Hocks cry out to jump in your cart?! Think split pea soup, refried beans, savory rices, omlettes and SOOO much more. Love me some Ham Hocks, I do!


Their seafood signage is specific as to wild or farmed, previously frozen or fresh, often with a place of origin so that you can make an informed choice as a consumer...how refreshing!


Their dried goods section is also a very popular isle. The origins are often listed as is whether they're organic also. This is where I shop for the granola my family enjoys, various rices and beans.



Then there's my beloved CB's Nuts Organic Peanut Butter dispenser so that I can grind my own fresh! These guys ROCK at roasting nuts and the quality of their product is unparalleled in my opinion!
(Good golly I'm such a food geek!)


We have many other reasons for shopping at Sunny Farms...my son and I often stop for a cone of frozen yogurt in their deli, to help his patience level while I shop. They also carry several local bakeries' goods as well which is convenience when time is short. Their garden center and canning departments are both well stocked.

So give this humble lady a visit next time you're shopping in Sequim or passing by on Highway 101...she's not blingy but she's full of character and substance!


Happy shopping mon amis!

No comments: