Hanging out at the Dairy

Hanging out at the Dairy
Darci(far left) & the Wrights at the Creamery

Monday, May 30, 2011

A nod to Penny

A few weeks ago, I took an online food photography class by the award winning photographer Penny De Los Santos. She is Senior contributing photographer Saveur and has done pieces for National Geographic Magazines to name a few (wow!!!)I'm a "point and shoot" gal still so much of the class was beyond my realm of knowledge and in some cases, interest. Having said that pointed comment, I was BLOWN AWAY with her openness, her willingness to share her knowledge and passion for food and photography. You can visit  her blog Appetite or website http://www.pennydelossantos.com/ to fully appreciate her mastery of her craft. For the sake of brevity...here are some take aways:

She likes to shoot food vertically and her pieces often include "ingredient shots". Ideally, there should be some "movement" in the shot.

She shoots in natural light, only natural light, whenever possible.

She likes to be a little messy, a little rustic, a lot of composition and texture.

She continues to inspire me in my "point and shoot" perspective:

*the background of the photo, if any, must ADD to the picture's story in some way
*to bring natural light and interest to the subject
*to have the photo be about the subject, not me
*to be patient, wait for the photographic moment to develop
*to take LOTS of photos, often

*Ask yourself "if you're not doing what you love, why not?!"

I was inspired to make Mexican Bean soup as Penny lives in Austin, TX and showed images of Latin American roadside stands and markets that haunt me. I used many Latin American spices found at my local Safeway and produce/dried beans/smoked ham hock at my local Sequim favorite, Sunny Farms Grocery. This wasn't a recipe, just an interpretation of a hearty meal that would be hearty and filling, something I would serve Penny after a shoot perhaps.

So here's to Penny; I WAS/am doing what I love, cooking for my family and friends and sharing it with all of you...

~Thanks Penny!

No comments: