Hanging out at the Dairy

Hanging out at the Dairy
Darci(far left) & the Wrights at the Creamery

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A fieldtrip to Pane d'Amore Bakery



"It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring..." this weather is dismal and calls for an emergency mood lifter! A pot of tea and something yummy from a "new to me" bakery in town Pane d'Amore will be the ticket to happiness today! I try and find things to cheer me up when I feel myself getting sucked down into the doldrums, it's a trick I play on myself...shhhh!


Immediately, I was struck with the feeling of warmth, calmness and the heady aromas of toasty yeasty treasures. How could I have waited so long to have never darkened this doorstep before today?!
 I peruse around, taking in all in, checking out the wine, balsamic vinegars, the selection of dried pastas, some local chocolates and jams. You could make a fun little picnic or an amazing gift basket or hostess gift with their selection here!







The black and white photographs are of their central bakery in Port Townsend where co-owner Frank D'Amore and his crew produce these heavenly morsels. The photographer is a local Port Townsend resident as well. Some of the photographs had Frank in them and all of them showed a reverence for the art of baking fine bread.




"How cute is this?!" I said when focusing on their coffee condiment vessel. This imported metal breadbox was from Denmark (I think) the shop's cheerful clerk Erin politely answered to my "out loud" thought. It was another personal touch the store's ambiance offered up upon closer inspection, 



I was having fun taking it all in, glad to have the time to make the right choice. Cookies were lovely but not screaming to me to buy them today.


A sourdough baguette would do nicely for dinner or lunch tomorrow! Sold!


 I read in an article in The Fresh Loaf (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2551/bakery-profile-pane-damore) that they use all organic ingredients in their breads and pastries. Frank's 25 years of baking experience is reflected in the selection of offerings and the depth of flavors. Clerk Erin has been offering samples and I'm TOTALLY wowed!


Shortcake! That's the teatime treat I need today! Buttery, with a moist flake to it's interior. Sourdough baguette and shortcake in hand, I forge my way home through the seemingly ever present rain. But now, I have my yummies!!

So, I'll brew some tea in the musical teapot my Great Aunt Florence gave me years ago. The classical piano music plays when you wind the bottom lever and fill your tea cup. The music stops when you put it down. Jasmine tea with a spot of NW blackberry honey, shortcake slathered in farm fresh butter and local raspberry jam. What a lovely adventure...I'm already smiling again! 

Here's to meeting new people, exploring new places and creating your joys in life!

No comments: