Hanging out at the Dairy

Hanging out at the Dairy
Darci(far left) & the Wrights at the Creamery

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Here's to the hero in all of us

sunrise on the family farm in Forks, WA
I lost my Aunt Diane today. She battled bravely with cancer for the past 20 years with a spirit that I can only envy and attempt to emulate; she breathed in life each day with the knowledge that everyday was a gift, a bonus really. How much more can we really learn in life but this lesson?

one of Aunt Diane's favorite flowers
Some foodie facts that you might like to know about her; she canned her own tuna from the fishing boats in La Push, WA while my Uncle was away on hunting trips.

She made a fantastic chocolate pie using 2 packages silken tofu blended until smooth and adding 2 cups melted chocolate while blending. The whole chocolatey mixture is poured into a graham cracker crust and chilled. It was a "secret" healthy dessert.

She made English muffin bread in an recycled coffee can-DELISH! I'll try to get the recipe from my cousins and post later, it will be worth it.

She was the one I made the birthday cake for recently. It was a great day together with her, laughing, drinking in our time together...in part because we all knew it was her last birthday, in part because we were in the moment, together.

Aunt Diane, Uncle Kitch, grandson Anthony blowing out candles and cousin Guy watching

Grandson Anthony devouring cake, his Mom my cousin Laura and my son Alan watching in awe

Her joys in life were time with family, her husband,  weaving baskets with her "Basket Bitches", seeing all 3 of her living daughters married and spending time with her beloved Grandson Anthony. She loved home made things, sincerity and being on her fresh water kyak. It was an honor and a pleasure to spend time with her, talk with her and learn to embrace EVERY DAY that life brings. Gulp in in folks, life is precious.  

our 4th of July lasagna emulating the American flag
I wish you freedom from pain Aunt Diane. You are indeed a source of inspiration during my morning runs to get off my rear and get out there! I cook with love because I learned from you how valuable time with your loved ones can be. To find pleasure in the simple, little gestures of caring.  Miss you already!



Hug your family, mend your fences and drink in life my friends! It's a finite journey, use your time well.
I am blessed to have my memories to share with you, my friends and family!

Chow for now my friends.

No comments: