Hanging out at the Dairy

Hanging out at the Dairy
Darci(far left) & the Wrights at the Creamery

Sunday, August 28, 2011

A berry good weekend on the farm!

cascade berries on our family farm

"Life has been berry berry good to me!" This sentiment is both a vintage Saturday Night Live reference and the the tone for this weekend on my family farm outside of Forks, WA. It's a late berry season here, well almost every seasonal crop is somewhat behind schedule here in Western Washington this year. At almost the end of August, we picked cascade berries this weekend!

this one didn't last long in my hand! YUMMM


on the vine
The thing is, berries are my FAVORITE things and cascades, marion and raspberries are my ultimate favorites!! They're sweet, tart, earthy, rich, slightly floral all at the same time. These jewels bring me back to my childhood with one bite. Picking berries with my Grandparents here on the farm, some even made it into my bucket for pies later!

The sun was out most of the weekend, even where we are near the Pacific coast. Saturday was pleasantly warm. My Mom and son picked berries for a cobbler to have for dessert that night.

fresh picked cascade berries in a baking dish
Mom sprinkled the fresh berries with about a half cup of all purpose flour and a cup of refined sugar for thickening the pie as the berries release their juices when cooking and additional sweetness. For the topping she tossed rolled oats with chopped walnuts, a pinch of cinnamon and some melted butter to bind the crunching topping together. The cobble baked in 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes, the topping was toasted and the berries cooked.

cascade berry cobbler hot out of the oven
a closeup of my dessert plate
We had left over cobble available for Sunday. YEA!! Life was full of simple pleasures this weekend, berry cobbler, swimming in the Bogichiel River for both human and canine, visiting with family and friendly goats and lots of reading.

son Alan and his new goat best friend "Dennis"(the goat on the right)

Cousin Justin, his dogs, my son Alan and my Dad
our Wiener dog Domino even started swimming!

Son Alan and my Dad after crossing the Bogichiel River
Domino drying out in the sun after his swim
My Mom and son Alan reading on the deck
Life on the family farm can be filled with lots of hard work but not for me this weekend! I picked berries today and froze them for pies or tarts in the days to come. I read my book and visited with family. I watched them swim and laughed at one of our Dachshunds get into the swimming craze. Now THAT's a buoyant little beast! Lot's a smiles and contentment being together.


Yes, life is berry, berry good my friends! 
Here's to finding your favorite things and relishing in their delectable, seasonal joy they bring us~



Chow for now my friends!

No comments: